Motivation Monday…its still a thing right?
Happy Monday blogger friends!! I hope you had a fun weekend and are gearing up for a great Holiday season! (We can talk about that now that Halloween is over right?) Have I told you that this is my favorite time of year!! More on that in future blog posts!
First off though, I thought I’d share what our family decided to do for our Halloween costume in case you missed it on social media! At the last minute we changed our original group costume idea to The Powerpuff Girls because my oldest and her friends picked this for their Homecoming spirit week group costume. With all that we had going on, I honestly just ran out of time to make the other group costume…so maybe we’ll use that one next year!
This costume was super easy to put together…we just bought the cheap Gildan tshirts from Michaels that happened to be on sale 3 for $10 I think as well as some thick black ribbon (also from Michaels)…which we were able to use a 40% off coupon to buy. SCORE! Then all I had to do was sew the ribbon onto each shirt! I’d recommend pinning the ribbon in place prior to sewing. I placed the ribbon a little over an inch down from the sleeve opening. If you’re not into sewing like I am…you could also use something like this Fuse Tape and simply adhere the ribbon to the shirts instead of sewing. I found Jason’s lab coat on Amazon for about $20. So for our entire family costume…we paid less than $40!!
It was a little bit of a different Halloween for us because at the last minute, my youngest and her friends all wanted to to trick or treat together so she ended up going to a friends neighborhood to trick or treat! (yes middle schoolers still trick or treat!) We have always done trick or treating in our own neighborhood! After a quick family meeting, we decided to let our girl fly solo with her friends! (another first for us) My oldest and I ended up passing out candy to kiddos in our neighborhood! Who knows what will happen next year…I mean, I’ll have an 8th grader and sophomore in high school. Highly doubt they are gonna want to trick or treat…but we’ll see!!
Ok so now let’s chat briefly about motivation.
Why…well, because its Motivation Monday! Cheesy I know, but I get asked A LOT, how I stay some motivated to do things! And truth be told, I’m not always motivated. But over the years I’ve realized that you can either run your day or let it run you! The more you can stay positive, look at the glass is refillable (not just half full or half empty), despite set backs and other challenges…the better!
So here are a few quick action things you can do to enhance your life and get you out of rut! You can make a positive difference in your life with just a few minutes each day! If you make a habit of using your free moments constructively, you can make great strides.
Give these actions a try and discover a new level of enjoyment in your life.
Enhance your life each day and improve your motivation within just a few minutes
1. Learn a valuable skill from a friend. You might have a friend that’s great with people or has fantastic persistence. Maybe one of your friends is overflowing with self-confidence. Find out how they do it.
2. Create a mission statement. What do you stand for? What is your life about? Think about it and create a mission statement for yourself. Your statement will evolve over time as you change and grow.
3. Describe your ideal life five years from now. What do you want to see, have, do, and experience in your future? Make a decision now. Envision the details of your desired daily life. Do this EVERY day!
4. Acquire new knowledge. There’s no reason to be the same person you’ve been for the last five years. Learn something new and expand your skillset. What would be useful for you to learn? How could you enhance your ability to be successful at work?
5. Eliminate one time-waster from your life. Just for a day, avoid one of the ways you waste time when you’re bored or stressed. You might decide to continue your new pattern.
6. Wake up early and put the time to good use. The morning hours can be especially productive. Take advantage of them.
7. Read something worthwhile for 20 minutes. Turn off the TV for 20 minutes and read something with the potential to change your life for the better. Just 20 minutes each day can have a great impact. I have a great list of my favorite books HERE
8. Start a journal. Record your life and learn from it. You might even want to allow your children to read it some day.
9. Work your brain with something fun. Play a game of chess or solve a few brain-teasers. Put away the calculator and use the old noggin for a change. Exercise your brain as you would your body.
10. List the positive traits of someone you don’t like. You can easily list the negative traits of those you don’t like. List the positive traits and see how your perspective changes.
11. Read or listen to one personal development article each day. Eventually, you’ll find an idea that really resonates with you. It only takes one good idea to change your life. See link in number 7 for my favorites!
12. Evaluate your day. Never allow a day to go to waste. Take a few minutes to list the good points and not-so-good points of each day. See what you can learn.
13. Embarrass yourself. One of the challenges we all share is caring too much about what others think. Intentionally embarrass yourself. Wear mismatched shoes to the store. Walk down the street with a shower cap on your head. Make a fool out of yourself and notice that no one cares.
14. Join a community. Humans need to be part of a community. It might be a group in your neighborhood, the local walking or running club, or a softball team. Find a group of people you enjoy and spend time with them. Learn more about my online community HERE
I will say that one of the best things about the work I do as a coach is that it has enabled me to continually work to become a better version of myself…both physically and mentally! I challenge you to make self-improvement a regular part of your life. A few minutes each day can put you on the road to greater success and happiness. Make the most of your free time and avoid time-wasters.
You can live the life you’ve only dreamed about! And you can get there one step at a time. Hope these tips helped you! Have a fantastic week!