In the hustle and bustle of our lives, we often forget to take a few minutes to realize how blessed we are. I just finished a book recently called The Magic so todays post was scheduled to be about this book and keeping a gratitude journal. But I found myself struggling to write it thinking about people who have been affected by Hurricane Ian. So I decided to change it up and talk about how to feel gratitude in challenging times.
I cannot begin to fathom how people living in Florida must be feeling right now. The pictures and videos I’ve seen on my social scroll on Tik Tok are simply devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected as well as those who have family and friends there. Here’s a link to where this photo was shared.
Times of trouble can make it more difficult for you to find gratitude in your heart. They can make you turn to anger or resentment. However, there are ways you can still show gratitude despite challenging issues in your life.
If challenging times are affecting your ability to see gratitude, consider these ideas:
Search for the positive.
- You may be going through a stressful or difficult period in your life, but it shouldn’t stop you from seeing positive things. What are the positive areas in your life that aren’t being affected by your current challenges? While not everyone has perfect health, you are still here. Do you still have a job that provides for your family? What about a place to sleep or a roof over your head. Look at the bigger picture to find things to be grateful for. By focusing on the positive aspects of your life, you’ll find areas in which you can still feel thankful.
Treasure the small details.
- It’s easy to lose sight of the small details if you’re overwhelmed by a difficult situation at home or at work. However, if you learn to treasure the details, you’ll welcome gratitude back into your life. Are you happy with a new paint color at home? Are you proud of a small project at work? Did you finish a long book? These small details can make a big difference in your gratitude levels. You can show your appreciation for the little things by making a list of everything that needs your love.
Search for joy.
- It’s important to add joy to your daily schedule. Watch a funny video on YouTube or Tik Tok, read a lighthearted book, or share silly jokes with friends. Add laughter to your routine. Laughter can help you notice the areas that need gratitude in your life. Joy can help you feel appreciation toward your family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors.
Put your pain in perspective.
- Make it a point to avoid getting lost in the negative emotions of your challenges by looking at others. If you can put your pain in perspective, you’ll discover that there are others who have even more challenges than you. If you’re worried about your house, job, or health, think about those who have even less. Perspective can help you understand that everyone faces difficult challenges. You’re not alone, and you can still feel grateful for other things in your life.
Understand the power of change.
- Change is a regular part of existence, but when you’re struggling, you might feel as if your life will never change.
Remind yourself that changes occur all the time, and change can lead to gratitude. You can show your gratitude by recognizing that changes occur and can lead to better things. If you feel trapped and stagnant, keep in mind that a transformation is possible. It may take time, friends, effort, and perseverance, but you’ll get past your difficult situation.
Expressing gratitude doesn’t have to be limited during challenges. Search for the positive areas in your life, even as you struggle in other areas. Remember that you’re not alone and that everything changes. Soon, you’ll find yourself feeling the gratitude that you seem to have lost.