I absolutely love the start of a new year!!
A fresh year gives you the opportunity to reflect on the previous year and think about how you want the next year to be different! And while I’m not really a fan of setting resolutions…I like to them of them more like goals for what I want to do in the new year!
Having said that, I don’t think we’ll ever fully get away from late December/early January being deemed “New Years Resolution season” The plans you make for the next year matter, so you want to carefully consider your resolutions.
Consider these resolutions to fill your life with more happiness and joy:
- Laugh at least once a day. Laughter releases endorphins in the body and brings instant joy into your life.
- Stay grateful. Reflect on your daily blessings and find gratitude in them.
- Find hobbies that make you happy. What do you enjoy? Tap into your natural passions with a new hobby that brings you pleasure.
- Reconnect with nature at least once a week. It’s important to enjoy nature and find time to explore it.
- Volunteer to help a local organization. Instead of writing a check and forgetting about the charity, connect with a local organization that needs help. Your heart will be filled with joy as you help others.
- Explore your creative side. Do you love art, dance, music, or other creative outlet? By exploring creative pursuits, you can find new happiness.
- Express your appreciation to others. Ensure that others know you appreciate their efforts. Making them feel good makes you feel good too!
- Clarify your priorities. Spending time on those activities that support what’s most important to you brings you satisfaction and fulfillment.
- Organize events with friends. Your friendships can be a source of joy.
- Exercise frequently. Exercise helps fight stress and increases energy. It can also improve your mood and make you feel happier.
- Enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. It’s important to enjoy the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. You can find instant joy by sipping your favorite wine or eating your favorite chocolate.
- Get enough sleep. Researchers have found that getting enough sleep boosts happiness levels.
- Stay present in the moment. You can find joy in the little things by enjoying each moment of the day.
- Keep your mind active. An active mind avoids boredom, so you can find more joy.
- Make new friends. New friendships instantly add joy to your life.
- Give and accept more hugs. Hugs can lift your mood, and researchers have found they have a positive impact on endorphin levels
- Spend more time with your children. Instead of watching TV or focusing on work, find more time to spend with your children. See the joy of life through their eyes.
- Play more games. Do you love board games or puzzles? Running around with your kids or pets? Let loose and spend some enjoyable time playing games.
- Avoid anger. Giving in to anger drains the joy from your life and makes the people around you miserable.
- Encourage the people around you. As you encourage others and help them find happiness, your own joy will increase.
- Do something just for you. It’s important to find time for yourself.
- Look for the positive aspects. Find the silver lining in all situations.
- Smile more. Make smiling a priority and watch joy fill your life.
- Create new goals. Find happiness in new directions and goals.
- Reconnect with lost family members. Have you drifted apart from some family members? Rediscover your bond will bring happiness to both of you.
With the year we’ve had, focusing on things that create happiness in our lives is so important!!